Google loves a good blog-make money online

When I looked at my logs the other day I discovered that one of my pages were receiving traffic in a totally different way compared to all my KFCP's.
Where the KFCP's are focused narrowly on a specific keyword or keyphrase this page isn't targeted at any specific keywords.
On my KFCP's I get search engine traffic where the queries used are very similar, but on this page I'm seeing all sorts of different queries.
Besides breaking one SEO rule about not targeting anything specific this page also breaks another one: It's 46K big , which is rather large.
And another strange thing about this page is that nearly half of the queries don't make any sense sentence-wise. The searches that found it were just 2 or 3 keywords right after each other.
The page I'm referring to is my blog page.
By its very nature this page tends to grow as big as recent events tells it to.
And by nature it's focused on what's happening right now in the search engine community - and not a statically targeted keyword.
I've talked a lot about why this page shouldn't be getting any traffic, but the most important thing is really WHY it is getting this much traffic.
I would be a rather poor newsletter publisher if I only showed you how NOT to get traffic, so let's get on with WHY this page is attracting so many search engine users.
1) Content
Blogs are about content - period.
And because of the way I'm writing each blog entry I get lots of keywords crammed into very little space. This is not by choice but rather 'by accident'.
2) Freshness
Because I blog about news in the SEO industry and we see quite a few new alliances being formed this page tends to have information on subjects that wasn't searched for at all before.
A year back nobody would have searched for "Gator" and "Overture" in the same query or "SearchScout" or "MatchDriver"
Because of this freshness Google tend to visit this page more often than the remaining - more stale - pages on my site.
Combine 1 and 2 and you get "fresh content"
Some would argue that freshness also could be achieved simply by changing the "Last-Modified" HTTP HEAD tag, but that's nothing more than pseudo-freshness or "Last-Modified Spamming". It might fool some search engine spiders to spider you and keep you in their index, but with stale content you will inevitably fall behind your competitors.
And just like any trick in the SEO book it's a hole just waiting to be patched.
So what are the benefits to you to have a news blog?
1) You have to stay on your toes to keep up with news in your industry and this extra knowledge can only help your business and develop your skills.
2) You can become an authority and have your blog visited by your peers.
3) When you blog about new pages on your own site or significant changes to existing pages these pages will be picked up/re-spidered more quickly because fresh pages are spidered more frequently.
4) More search engine visitors because you use a wide variety of keywords and keyword combinations.

Comments